If you’ve ever thought about hiring someone to do Bristol or Greater Hartford CT SEO work on your website then you may have some questions. If you have already hired someone and were not pleased then you probably wonder why you ever hired them in the first place. Doesn’t every person who offers SEO services truly know how to do it?
The answer is a resounding NO.
Before you sign up for new SEO services in the Greater Hartford area for the first time, please listen to what I have to say.
I will be upfront and tell you that not all SEO "gurus" are created equal. In fact, anyone who truly labels themselves as such probably couldn’t even rank a website within a few months if they tried.
SEO and Web Design ARE NOT the Same Thing!
The problem with SEO services is that anyone who thinks they can create a website in Hartford also thinks they can successfully be a search engine optimization (SEO) specialist. Sadly, this trend has been on fire worldwide ever since SEO consulting began and it has not lost any momentum. The fact that amateur web designers are offering even worse SEO services than their already low quality websites is a shame to business owners who want results. Now, please listen, I’m not saying there are not great web designers in the area; there are some amazing ones! But what I am saying is that unless you’ve truly been working in the SEO industry day in and day out, watching new trends, rankings sites, working the trenches, and so on… then you don’t really know SEO at all!
Even the top website designers who are amazing at what they do and consistently deliver great websites can be lacking when it comes to SEO. Why? Because SEO and website design are completely different!
It is true that when building a website there are basic optimization principles that the developer needs to be aware of, but these are so easy that my 6 year old cousin could learn them if I taught him. Literally.
I’ve gotten many clients through this process, referrals from amazing web designers. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are web designers who can do a very good job at SEO. But generally speaking in the Bristol area when I talk to potential clients they always tell me the same thing… their SEO efforts were not what they expected and the campaign didn’t last very long.
Let me give you a basic overview of what SEO should be and what a small business owner expects:
- Direct the client in creating awesome and engaging content on a regular basis
- In Depth Keyword Research, properly identifying potentials for quick success
- Long Term Strategy for high competition Keywords with a long term goal
- High Quality link building each month, that deliver results in a few weeks
- Even better link building that deliver results for tough keywords over many months
- Drive Traffic to Your Website
- Convert That Traffic into real sales, calls, leads, or whatever your end goal is
- (keep in mind that traffic means nothing if the business isn’t making money from it)
- Reporting each month – progress and goals moving forward
- Communication time (within reason) – at least monthly emails or updates
Let’s take a look at what happens when you hire an amateur SEO consultant:
- Putting the “right keywords” on your page (haa!)
- Making sure keyword density is correct
- Stuff is churning in the background – no one really knows what!
- Spamming your site with tons of low quality links
- Not paying attention to proper anchor text ratios
- The website receives Google penalties eventually
- Doing who knows what, and the client is confused
- No real direction
- Little to no communication
- No Mutual understanding of the client’s overall goals
- “SEO is complicated so we have to keep the client in the dark”!
SEO isn’t just supposed to happen “in the background”. As a Connecticut small business you should be fully engaged in the process and be aware of what’s happening with your website. There’s no magic button when it comes to SEO and anyone who tells you otherwise is being ignorant and unethical. There's also no way any of us can control the search engines and the algorithms they use to put you in first place, so be cautious of "Guarantees" that don't make sense.
What Can I Offer Your Business?
I guess what it comes down to is that when I am working with clients I try to be as transparent as possible. Are there things my client will not understand? Yes. Are there technical specifics that I will not bother to share with my client? Yes. That’s why they are hiring a professional!
Generally speaking when you take your car in to have something repaired you are not asking about every single step along the way. Sure, you want to have a good understanding and be aware of what’s going on under the hood, but there’s no reason to look over the mechanic’s shoulder day in and day out.
There’s a big difference between keeping your SEO clients in the dark and being transparent.
It’s an art. I truly believe that to do SEO correctly in Bristol you need to have experience and have proof to back up your claims that you can “get your client higher up in Google”.
So here’s my point after all this rambling… What can I offer you as a business owner in Greater Hartford or Bristol or anywhere (really!)?
I can offer you high quality and transparent SEO services. I’ve been making a full time living doing this for the last few years. I know what I’m doing. Can the guy down the street that wants to SEO your site honestly say that?
Can the huge agency that hires college interns with 6 months experience say that?
Everyone has to start somewhere and slowly build up their SEO skills, but lucky for you I’ve already done the hard work and I live and breathe search engine optimization each and every day.
So give us a call at 860-248-6993 and we can discuss your company’s unique needs! Talk soon.
PS – if you are reading this post from another city or state feel free to also give me a call! I work with many companies on a daily basis that are thousands of miles away from me.